Sunday, December 3, 2017

Deep Edge - Hockey Meets Figure Skating





RJ and I are just tickled pink to have time to talk about Deiter and Trent’s book, Deep Edge, as well as our shared love of hockey and figure skating. We’re so proud of this book, and the men starring in it. It’s a wonderful story, filled with hockey, angst, sass, sequins, and two men who wade through the worst life can throw at them holding tightly to each other. Hopefully you’ll love D and Trent as much as we do.





I’m going to age myself terribly here as we talk about skating and how it’s been a beloved part of my life for years. And when I say years, I mean years. I clearly remember watching the 1976 Winter Olympics at the tender age of fifteen. There was a plucky, adorable young woman on the US Olympic skating team by the name of Dorothy Hamill. 





She not only stole my heart, but the hearts of millions around the world. And, yes, I did have my hair cut just like Dorothy’s! Every four years since I do my best to catch the figure skaters as they compete for the gold. Which is where I came across my favorite male skater – and the inspiration for Trent Hanson – Johnny Weir.




After catching his performances in the Olympics, I was a forever fan. When his TV show aired, I watched it religiously. Of course, when RJ and I discussed writing a book about a hockey player and a figure skater falling in love, I knew I had to pattern Trent after Mr. Weir. Trent is a flamboyant, out and proud gay man. He looks hatred and bigotry right in the face and never backs down in his defense of those who are being ridiculed or belittled. He battles against homophobia and embraces young LGBT skaters. He’s gregarious and tenderhearted, and a simply joyful character to have written.



When Trent and Deiter come together, they’re a train wreck about to happen, but they muddle through the dark patches with sheer will and determination, to find love and acceptance in each other’s arms. *sighs* As you can tell, I simply adore the stars of Deep Edge as much as I’ve loved the couples who came before them. And I’m pretty sure I’ll be head over heels with the men who follow this odd but amazing couple!


Buy Links:




Make sure you visit RJ's blog for her post about figure skating!


RJ Scott Blog

2 comments:

LeeAnn said...

I loved watching Dorothy Hamill while growing up. I never was a good skater....ok to be honest I was lucky if I stayed upright and went in the right direction most of the time. I am still a huge fan and watch it whenever I can on t.v. Scott Hamilton was a huge favorite of mine! The way that man would flip into the air was always thrilling to watch.

ButtonsMom2003 said...

I love watching figure skating. Deep Edge is a fantastic book!